In 1955 members of the Catholic Church in Effingham, Our Lady of Sorrows, wished to demolish an old cottage on its land in Lower Road in order to build a new Parish Hall and a car park. For reasons of potential historical and archaeological interest, local historians and others hoped the cottage might be preserved. This article presents what is known about the history of the cottage and its occupants and then describes how the campaign to save it was ultimately lost.