THE OLD VILLAGE HALL

Researched and written by Susan Morris and Christopher John Hogger

It might seem improbable that one could find in Britain an example of a village whose village hall had begun as a hospital on an entirely different site; yet Effingham is such an example. The building today named The Old Village Hall, standing at the south-western corner where Orestan Lane meets The Street, came into being in a different location in 1877 and within four years had been moved to its present site. For half a century thereafter it served a wide variety of community purposes. It now functions as the head office of the civil engineering company Colets Piling Ltd. This article traces its history from its earliest beginnings up to the present day.

Use the button to read or download the article: