This page presents extracts from books that are not specifically about Effingham but contain mentions of it. They are listed here in publication order. The buttons on the right bring the extracts about Effingham into view.


The Natural History and Antiquities of Surrey, Vol. 3
Author: John Aubrey FRS (1626-97)
Published by: Richard Rawlinson, 1719

The writer, archaeologist and antiquarian John Aubrey FRS took on the task of surveying Surrey at the behest of the Royal Cartographer John Ogilby for the purpose of creating a national atlas. Although that project did not materialise, Aubrey continued working on his survey, but did not publish it in his lifetime. His work was edited and published rather later by Richard Rawlinson during 1718-19 as a five-volume work. Aubrey was interested in, and competent in, many fields and was one of the founding members of the Royal Society.

Further reading:

Antiquities of Surrey: Collected from the Most Ancient Records
Author: Nathaniel Salmon LL.B. (1675-1742)
Published by: himself, London, 1736

Salmon was a Cambridge-educated curate in his early life but his political leanings led to his having to abandon a career in the Church. Instead he went into medicine but again not for a long period. Much of his time was spent in travelling the country and noting down what he observed, publishing his findings in various works including his Antiquities of Surrey. His writings are not highly regarded from a historical point of view but much detail was diligently recorded. His life was one of unending poverty and he reputedly died of starvation.

Further reading:

The History and Antiquities of the County of Surrey, Vol. 2
Authors: Owen Manning (1721-1801) and William Bray (1736-1832)
Published by: John White, London, 1809

“Manning and Bray” is the earliest deeply-researched history of the county. An excellent study of the work of these two antiquarians and the context in which it was undertaken is given in Julian Pooley’s paper Owen Manning, William Bray and the writing of Surrey’s county history, 1760–1832, Surrey Archaeological Collections, 92, pp 91-123, 2005.

Further reading: Surrey History Centre – study by Dr Eric Gardner MB FSA, 1945

Owen Manning by artist unknown : by the kind permission of Godalming Museum

William Bray : by John Linnell : mezzotint, published 1833 : NPG D32091 : Licence CC BY-NC-ND 3.0

Surrey Described: Being an Enumeration of the Seats and Residences of the Nobility, Clergy and Gentry of the County, Alphabetically Arranged …
Authors: Christopher & John Greenwood, 1823

The Greenwoods were mapmakers who in 1817 began a project to produce a large scale map of every English county. In 1823 they published their Map of the County of Surrey, from an actual Survey made in the Years 1822 & 1823. The large scale allowed inclusion of such detail as ‘boundaries of counties, hundreds and parishes, churches and chapels, castles and quarries, farmhouses and gentleman’s seats, heaths and common land, woods, parliamentary representatives and distances between towns’. The map was very well received but there were complaints that without some form of key, it was unclear who owned the properties shown and this was inconvenient. The Greenwoods therefore produced the document featured here, a ‘topographical dictionary’ or index, to accompany the map.

Further reading:

Thumb image : cover of the edition published by C & J Greenwood, 174 Piccadilly, London, 182

A Topographical History of Surrey, Vol. 4
Author: Edward Wedlake Brayley FSA (1773-1854)
Published by: Robert Best Ede, Dorking and Tilt & Bogue, London, 1841-48

Edward Wedlake Brayley was primarily as a topographer but began his working life as an enameller and befriended another apprentice John Britton. They decided on an entirely different career and during their lifelong friendship they published prolifically on topographical subjects, including a 25-volume work The Beauties of England and Wales. Brayley’s best known work now is his 5-volume A Topographical History of Surrey.

Further reading:

Thumb image : cover of an edition published by G. Willis, Great Piazza, Covent Garden, London, 1850

A Saunter Through Surrey
Author: Matthias Cathrow Turner (1831-1889)
Published by: W. Walker, 196, Strand, London, 1857

Little is known of Matthias Cathrow Turner. Born a vicar’s son in Lambeth in 1831, he entered the Inner Temple as a law student in January 1850, then aged 19. Called to the Bar in 1854 he began practising as a barrister. His ‘saunter’ through Surrey was undertaken during a vacation in 1856. The book is full of wry observations and is rich in anecdote. In 1866 he married Fanny Browne and produced several children. By the time of the 1871 Census he was already classified as deaf and was no longer in practice, which must have been a severe blow. He died quite young, in 1889.

His brief visit to Effingham seems not to have impressed him.

Black’s Guide to the County of Surrey
Published by: Adam and Charles Black, Edinburgh, 1861

The Edinburgh publisher Adam Black and his nephew Charles introduced their very extensive Black’s Guide series in 1839. They also published several volumes of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. See below for a further description of Effingham from this series published in 1886.

The 1861 entry includes a caustic remark about the stained glass windows in St Lawrence Church, stating that some are ‘objectionably blazoned with the armorial bearings of the Stringers and Farleys’. Miles Stringer was the Lord of the Manor of Effingham East Court during the incumbency of Rev William Farley (Vicar 1793-1836). Beginning in 1825, a programme of extensive alterations to the church was undertaken. Stringer paid for several projects including a minstrel’s gallery at the west end and a new east window above the altar. It seems that one of the stained glass windows in the north wall of the chancel was also replaced at this time, and would be the one including the offending heraldic designs. Neither of these windows survive today. In 1887 the east window was replaced and so was the ‘Stringer’ window, the latter with one now incorporating a simple dedication to Jane Stringer, Miles’s wife, who had died in 1867. Possibly a ‘Farley’ window was also decommissioned. Although there are no longer any windows including armorial bearings of Stringers or Farleys, they survive on marble memorials to both families.

In 1886 Blacks published a second edition of this Guide (see below). They do not repeat the 1861 information, but are again dismissive of Effingham. 

Further reading:

Field Paths and Green Lanes: being country walks, chiefly in Surrey and Sussex
Author: Louis John Jennings (1836-1893)
Published by: John Murray, Albemarle Street, London, 1878 [2nd Edition]

Louis John Jennings, son of a London tailor, was engaged by The Times in his twenties as a correspondent in India and then in America. He joined The New York Times as Editor-in-Chief. Back in England he continued writing, especially on the subject of country rambles. In the 1880s he was elected Conservative MP for Stockport. His account of his visit to Effingham is delightful, recounting his wonderment at Yew Tree House in The Street.

Further reading:

Carte-de-visite for Louis J. Jennings, by Gurney & Son, N.Y. : by courtesy of A Glimpse of Americana

Black’s Guide to the County of Surrey
Published by: Adam and Charles Black, Edinburgh, 1886 [2nd Edition]

The Edinburgh publisher Adam Black and his nephew Charles introduced their very extensive Black’s Guide series in 1839. They also published several volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Their guide to Surrey consists of a large collection of descriptions of walks from place to place, e.g. from Guildford to Leatherhead, noting the minutiae of all that their writer had observed on the way. This particular walk takes in Effingham which is dismissed here in barely more than one sentence as having “nothing of interest”, despite it having three excellent manor houses.

Further reading:

The Family Memoirs of the Rev. William Stukeley MD, Vol. III
Author: William Stukeley MD FRS FSA (1687-1765)
Published by: Andrews & Co., Sadler Street, Durham, 1887

William Stukeley was a most remarkable man, being a physician, pioneering archaeologist, antiquarian, cleric and writer. He was elected to the Royal Society in 1718. Being a friend of Isaac Newton he was the original source – in his writings on Newton’s life – of the story of Newton’s pondering of an apple’s fall in relation to gravity. He played a key part in the early studies of Stonehenge and Avebury. His Memoirs, published long after his death, say very little of Effingham and even that is not readily interpretable.

Further reading:

A History of the County of Surrey, Vol. 3
Editor: Henry Elliot Malden MA FRHist.Soc. (1849-1931)
Published by: Victoria County History, London, 1911

The Victoria County History project was initiated in 1899 with the ambition of publishing a comprehensive history of every county in England. It continues to the present day. The VCH history of Surrey spans five volumes of which Volume 3 – which includes the material on Effingham – was edited by Henry Elliot Malden, a Cambridge-educated enthusiast in local history and archaeology.

Further reading:

Nearing Jordan: being the Third and Last Volume of Sixty Years in the Wilderness
Author: Sir Henry William Lucy (1842-1924)
Published by: Smith, Elder & Co., 15 Waterloo Place, London, 1916 [2nd Impression]

Henry Lucy was a highly-acclaimed writer, Commons lobby correspondent and journalist focussed on the politics of his day. For many decades he was the parliamentary sketch writer for Punch and he distilled the knowledge he gained from that into several volumes of highly observant accounts of the proceedings in Parliament spanning a period of more than twenty years. This volume includes a page or so setting out his memories of Julius Caesar Czarnikow of Effingham Hill House.

Further reading:

Chronicles of a Contractor: being the autobiography of the late George Pauling
Author: George Craig Saunders Pauling (1854-1919)
Editor: David Buchan
Published by: Constable  & Co. Ltd., London, 1926 [1st Edition]

George Pauling was a major contractor in the second half of the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century, most notably in establishing railways in Africa. Besides laying down railways he also took on various challenging civil engineering projects in other parts of the world, including dam building. His autobiography, published after his death, contains much to fascinate. He married three times. He died from pneumonia, due to the “Spanish” influenza, at The Lodge, the home in Effingham which he had bought in 1897.

Further reading:

Through Windows of Memory
Author: William Francis Brown, Auxiliary Bishop of Southwark (1862-1951)
Published by: Sands  & Co. Ltd., London, 1946 [1st Edition]

Father Brown was originally raised in the Scottish Episcopalian Church but, with the rest of his family, converted to Roman Catholicism when he was aged 11. In the 1890s he began his long ministry among the poor of south London, firstly and briefly as a curate in Camberwell and then, for the rest of his life, as the parish priest of St. Anne’s in Vauxhall. Besides becoming Auxiliary Bishop of Southwark he also held the purely titular see of Bishop of Pella. In this book he tells of his strong friendship with George Pauling of The Lodge in Effingham.

The Story of Czarnikow
Authors: (Henry) Hurford Janes (1909-2000) and Howard J. Sayers
Published by: Harley Publishing Co. Ltd., London, 1963 [1st Edition]

Julius Caesar Czarnikow (1838-1909) was one of the world’s leading sugar brokers in the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century. After leaving his native Prussia in 1854 he came to England, became a British Subject and founded the sugar broking firm Czarnikow & Co., subsequently C. Czarnikow Ltd. While maintaining a sumptuous home in Belgravia’s Eaton Square he also kept a country residence at Effingham Hill House with its associated Lordship of the Manor of Effingham East Court. The extracts presented here come from the personal copy of the book (which is mostly about the company) that had been owned by his grand-daughter Margaret and which is now in the possession of ELHG.

The Wind of Morning
Author: Col. Sir John Edmund Hugh Boustead (1895-1980)
Published by: Chatto & Windus Ltd., London, 1971

Hugh Boustead was another example of those persons whose lives and achievements were too remarkable to allow adequate summary. After serving in both Navy and Army during WW1, gaining the Military Cross, he fought with the Cossacks in 1919 against the Red Army. A lightweight boxing champion, he captained the British pentathlon team at the 1920 Summer Olympics, explored the Himalayas, Libya and Greenland, and took part in the 1933 Everest expedition. And more … His connection with Effingham was that his mother lived at Old Westmoor Cottage for a brief spell until her death in 1936.

© IWM HU 114130 : under Non-Commercial Licence from the Imperial War Museum

East Horsley:  Within Living Memory
Author: Carol Salter
Published by: Seven Corners Press Ltd., Guildford, 1982

Although this book focuses on East Horsley it contains some interesting details concerning Effingham. There is a reference to “Tollgate Alice”, also remembered in our village as “Old Alice Tyrrell” but whose full name was Alice Sarah (née Maskell) Jay, widow and partner of Robert Tyrrell at the Old Toll Gate cottage on the Guildford Road. Mention is made also of Mrs Dyble at Effingham Lodge and of her son-in-law John (“Jimmy”) Biles of whose family ELHG has an extensive collection of photographs. Some details are given also of Miss Bretherton of the Common. Besides the Effingham references the book as a whole provides a very interesting and readable account of our neighbouring parish in bygone times.

August & Rab: a Memoir
Author: Mollie Butler (1907-2009)
Published by: George Weidenfeld & Nicolson Ltd., London, 1987

Mollie was born to parents Frank and Esmé Montgomerie and spent some of her early childhood living at The Hollies in The Street. This book narrates her two very remarkable marriages, first to the explorer Augustine Courtauld and then to Richard Austen Butler (“RAB”), the distinguished Conservative Politician whose path to becoming Prime Minister was thwarted by his rival Harold Macmillan. At the beginning of the book she says a little about her time in our village, but refrains from naming it.

Arcadia for All: the Legacy of a Makeshift Landscape
Authors: Dennis Hardy and Colin Ward
Published by: Five Leaves Publications, Nottingham, 2004 [2nd Edition]

First published in 1984, this book describes the emergence in the pre-war decades of many makeshift habitations constructed in south-east England by families seeking a plot of their own on which to build a home well beyond the main urban areas. Many such families made their escape from London, for example, to Essex or Surrey where they purchased small plots and built, without paying much (or any) heed to local planning controls, small dwellings of their choice. These places became known as ‘plotlands’. The book contains a brief reference to Effingham in this regard.

Photo: by kind permission of Dennis Hardy, co-author